An evening with Andrew Lock
Really Looking forward to this event next week and meeting Andrew Lock – Mountaineer, Author, Motivational Speaker…..
Kangaroo Point, Queensland
Where:- Story Bridge Hotel – 200 Main St Kangaroo Point, Queensland 4169 Australia
Andrew Lock OAM is Australia’s most accomplished high-altitude mountaineer. He is the only Australian and one of a handful of people in the world to climb all fourteen of the world’s 8000 metre peaks. His achievements encompass 18 summits of those 8000 metre peaks including Mt Everest twice, placing him in a select group of the world’s best alpinists.
His continuing mountaineering successes include:
- The only Australian in history to climb all fourteen of the world’s 8000 metre peaks, including Mt Everest.
- The first Australian to lead a commercial expedition to the summit of Mt Everest.
- The first Australian ascent of six of the world’s 8000 metre peaks
- Solo ascents of four 8000 metre peaks: Broad Peak, Lhotse, Shishapangma Central and Cho Oyu
- Climbs without oxygen or Sherpa support
- 18 individual ascents of 8000 metre peaks, with double ascents of Mt Everest, Cho Oyu and Shishapangma Central
- Lived at high altitude, on the mountains themselves, for over 4 years
Andrew was featured in the DISCOVERY CHANNEL 6 part mini series – Everest: Ultimate Survival and is the published author of SUMMIT 8000.
On Wednesday evening Andrew will be speaking on the challenges involved in transitioning from New Zealand to Himalayan and Karakorum mountaineering, and will be available after the presentation to answer questions.
Copies of Andrew’s new book, ‘Summit 8000: Life and Death with Australia’s Greatest Mountaineer’ will also be available for purchase.
Format of the evening: canapes/drinks between 6pm and 7pm with the chance to mingle, meet Andrew Lock and others from the NZAC, and buy Andrew’s book during this time. Andrew’s presentation will run from 7pm to 8pm, with a further chance for book purchases/signing after 8pm.
The event will take place in the Pop Up Bar in the Story Bridge Hotel. Best access is via Deakin St.
Proudly suppported by the New Zealand Alpine Club – Australia section
Camps and Summit of Everest map below
I got to meet Andrew Lock, had an awesome evening! So inspiring and full of knowledge he is very humble, kind and talked about hes expeditions, he is a brilliant speaker!
Andrew first learnt to do mountaineering in New Zealand and funny enough im going this April to learn in New Zealand too, (we had something in common that i didnt know!) he even wished me good luck in the alps! Which for me is even more inspiring than ever! 😀
Now i have to read his new book!